Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Crafty Lady

OK, after a long dry spell of crafting and sewing, I got inspired by Leah Martineau's blog post. http://shaunandleahfam.blogspot.com/2009/07/crafts-on-cranium.html

I thought all of those crafts were SO cute, but too ambitious for me. I did find myself at Joann Fabric (for the first time in a LOOONG time) with just 2 of my kids for about 2 hours. I bought enough felt to last me a lifetime (so I'm looking for felt projects now :). But, hey, it was on sale for $2.99/yard so I figured I should get one of each color. You may recognize my nude felt model.


The kids and I also looked at the pattern books for Halloween costumes (it'll be here before you know it). I ran across this pattern: http://www.sewbaby.com/shopbaby/product_info.php?products_id=4042

And since I've been sick of all of my bags/purses, I decided to give it a try. So I bought the fabric required and went to town last night and this morning. It took more than a couple of hours, but not many more. Here's my finished product.





It's meant to be a diaper bag, but it's a perfect tote or church bag (enough room for toys, scriptures, notebooks, manuals, and whatever else you might need).

I also made a matching changing pad, which did not turn out as lovely. It called for waterproof fabric but there's really no such thing that matches any cute fabric - so I improvised and used front and back fabric and covered one side with the clear waterproof piece. The fabric inside just didn't lay flat while I sewed it, so it's very gappy. Fine if you don't look close I guess. Stitching is terrible though. Oh well.



I really enjoyed sewing something for my own enjoyment. I love how the bag turned out and I learned some things in the process. I'm looking forward to making the boys' Halloween costumes and some felt stuff in the near future.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah! Someone else got bit by the craft bug! I don't know of any felt crafts off had but I'll keep you posted! And what costumes are you going to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to try that bag in the future. And I will let you know what my kids want to be for Halloween so you have plenty of time to make them =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://diybaglover.blogspot.com/
    heres a cute bag site..all kinds to try...not that i can sew or anything...that machine and me dont get along ,at all, but kudos for bein crafty chickie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that bag turned out awesome, Tara! I totally love it and wish that you would teach me to sew so I could make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks! I have no idea what costumes I'm going to make. Kellen is insisting on something scary because Halloween is all about being scary. The other two boys are too young to request, so I'm thinking about a cowboy for Bridger (we have most of the stuff) and maybe an Indian for Kincade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow,that is sooo cute. I wish i could do things like that. You are so amazing Tara!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog!