Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Art Class

One of the benefits of having kids so close together is that they can participate in the same activities.  Apache Junction Parks & Rec had an art class for 2-5 year olds (+ parent) so I signed up all three of my boys.  They had a great time (I hope).  It was hard to help 3 kids to 3 art projects in only 45 minutes (that's a new project every 5 minutes!) but I tried to let them be free with their art.  I tried not to force them to do the projects perfectly, but them create their own art (I HOPE I did.  It's awfully hard to let them do things the "wrong" way.)  All of the other parents had 1 kid, and they probably thought I was absolutely crazy for attempting this with 3 boys.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing each of my boys' personalities come out during class.  Bridger was forever telling me he could do it himself when I tried to help him, which meant that his projects always were a bit "different" if you know what I mean.  His animals had extra eyes, his dots weren't quite dots, his finger-painting was more extensive than either of the other two.

Kincade would easily get bored of the projects, unless glue was involved.  They LOVED doing the glue.  Which means there was quite a bit of extra glue used...  His eagle and hippopotamus each had 4 eyes, his flamingo had extra feathers, etc.

Kellen worked very hard and seriously on all of his projects.  I tried to get away with skipping a project on the last day because we had somewhere to be and didn't have time for 3 projects - he noticed and so I told him he could do it quickly while we were finishing the other ones.  He always wanted to figure out exactly HOW the project was supposed to be done and  WHY there were certain drawings on the flamingo or certain beads on the birdfeeder or anything else.




Their teacher was Ms. Patty.  She was great with the kids and helped me out a lot.  The very first day each kid got a secret piece of paper to make one big project.  They each got to paint one piece.  The next time they came to class, this huge flower was on the wall.  I'm pretty sure Bridger's was in the lower left (with a bit of white space), Kincade's was in the upper right (one of the ones with white space), and Kellen's was the one in the top left I think.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I need to find something for my kids to do this summer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog!